I installed the Extension:AutomaticREMOTE USER on my personal wiki. Takes the .htaccess auth user and persuades mediawiki to use it for user info. Cool stuff! Works very well.
though obsoleted by the new “private wiki” install option, I guess
I also installed a Mediawiki 1.17.0 and ran into some dirty crap with the wfGetIP() function not being able to detect IP address on machines that have ipv6 configured, or at least thats what the internet said.. Messing with the code solved that, the dirty way, but there were more issues so I went with the 1.15 that I already have running 🙂
Viva le Mediawiki